Wednesday, August 20, 2008

blog blocker

So today for some reason, WebSense was blocking our blogging. Eventually we figured out that if you go to some other site, like games.com, and type in the websense password, then you can access blogs for a while. But it sure seemed more aggressive in blocking us out today than it did yesterday. Maybe because Chuck was in the building.
One concern: If we have kids writing blogs, will they get blocked like we have been? We can't give them the password, so what then? If we do this with classes, we better figure that out first.

4 comments:

Mr.Rother said...

Chris...it seems really weird and definitely something to talk to Jason about! I have never had an issue with websense and kids blogging. I often gave kids time in the lab to do their weekly blog. If this is goign to be an issue...I think we should seriously talk to Chuck and Jason and get it changed!! There is too much educational use for them to be blocking it!!

Another weird part about the whole things is how PRFC folks didn't have any issues with it today?

Jeanne LaMoore said...

I teach at West and had absolutely no trouble accessing stuff at PRFC yesterday. This was definitely weird (and I would have been frustrated if I had been one of the people getting blocked).

Anonymous said...

Chris - I agree with your post. I'm pretty sure it will be a problem at the HS because I offered kids a blog as a choice and they couldn't do it because of the blocker. Based on my experience of having been at PRFC and CHS, there are a lot more sites blocked at the HS than PRFC. I do think we need to talk to our tech people and get it changed. What good is all of this if we can't use it with our kids?

Karen said...

Also, you may want to check out some education specific blogs which may not have the same issues.

edublogs.org

21Classes.com

ClassPress.com

Gaggle.net

You'll see that they are not as "cool" as blogger, and we've had problems with edublogs and Google Reader which is why we went with Bloggger. We'll be contacting tech before each of our meetings to ensure that what we want to do will work.